Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Coming Out.

No, I'm not gay, but I am coming out about my feelings about the gay community. So, buyer beware! If you know you'll get upset or offended, I suggest you stop reading!


Let me just start by saying that I honestly do not "HATE" anyone who is attracted to the same sex. My views on same-sex attraction is that it may not be a "choice" in the sense that you consciously think to yourself that you are going to choose to reject one sex and choose the other. More, I think, is that it's like someone who has a predisposition to alcoholism. Though there is not a conscious choice to become an alcoholic, the susceptibility is greater for certain individuals than for others. So, in comparison, both individuals do have the choice to refrain from taking the first step, though the desire and urge may feel almost like there is no choice at all.

You may or may not agree with me, and that's completely alright, because I do not think that we are all going to agree 100% with one another on most issues and topics. We have all had experiences that have given us different pieces of knowledge and with those we form our opinions, so it's quite alright if you only partially agree with me, or not at all.

Now that you know how I feel about homosexuality, that I do not feel any sort of anger or hate towards those who are, in my eyes, "struggling with the flesh", I hope you will better understand where I come from when I talk about my annoyance with this situation.

I am very annoyed by the fact that those who have this problem constantly insist on everyone accepting their idea of "love" and what is "normal". I do not agree, and no matter how much information I get about homosexuality and what they believe is a "healthy" relationship within their ideals, I will not, EVER, believe that this is right. I am not rude, ignorant, or judgmental. I am simply informed on this subject by a higher power, and nothing you say or do is going to make me question what I already know to be true. My thought is, I won't lecture you if you don't lecture me.

Now, my main reason for even writing anything about this subject is the fact that it is literally in my backyard and in my living room. I can choose to not watch shows that encourage or spend tons of time deliberating over this topic, I can, to a point, protect myself and my family from the constant threat and attack. But now, I am not too sure that I really can anymore. I won't complain that it is such a "hot" topic, or the fact that it is now a constant topic in church meetings and conferences. It makes me a bit sick to know that that is where we are having to focus our attention, but oh well. What I do not like, is that not only do I have to hear about it every 2 minutes on the news, but that it's not positive in any form. It is always "them" against "us". And I'm truly sick of this war. Right now there is pretty much a "gay army" marching around in SLC trying to say that the LDS church, and more specifically, Boyd K. Packer, is wrong is saying that homosexuality is wrong and can be overcome. Here, read this: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=12795071 .

Now, I believe that we should not be rude and hurtful to anyone because they choose a different lifestyle than you do. I am quite grateful for those who were kind to me while I chose to lead a life that was contrary to my upbringing, but nonetheless, I respect the fact that those same people did not feel comfortable with me in their home. I never got upset because I knew that I was choosing to do something contrary to what they were trying to teach their families, and that is their right and not my place to throw a fit because I didn't feel "welcome" at the time. I knew I was welcome once I chose to clean myself up and took away the possible threat of damaging the work they had done for their families. So I feel that it is very selfish for the gay community to constantly be barging into homes and forcing their lifestyle on those around them. It is rude and disrespectful of them. I wouldn't feel differently if it were a group of heroin addicts, or alcoholics. I'm sure they are all good people and I will never think that I am worth more than them, but it is MY right to disagree with their lifestyles and to choose to not let them control my life and what I say and do on the chance that I will offend them.

So, I am sorry that their feelings get hurt, I truly am, because I think we should have more tact when talking about such a sensitive subject and not just immediately start bashing and name-calling. (I hope I've done my best to not do those things now). But, I do also believe that it is somewhat silly and delusional to put yourself in a situation where you know there is a high if not certain probability of getting offended, and I guess hoping that it won't happen. Though, I do think that maybe they (the gay community) wanted something more to fight about, so that is why they chose to watch General Conference, fully aware of our believes on sexuality and marriage, and when, as expected, they did mention this issue, they took to fight-mode.

Lastly, if I have to be extremely careful of what I say/do/watch in order to not be fully submerged in this issue, why does it not go both ways? If the gay community truly wanted acceptance, wouldn't you be doing more positive things to be seen as a positive? Instead of always doing hateful/harmful things to show how much you're hurt/angry over your nonacceptance? It doesn't make sense. If you don't want to hear what the straight community thinks, do what WE have to do to not hear what YOU think. It's stupid to put yourself in the middle of something and then cry that it happened.

GAY/STRAIGHT/SINGLE/MILLIONAIRE/POOR...ect. We are all humans looking for the same thing: Love and acceptance..and in order to get that, we have to love and accept those around us.
(*Acceptance does not mean agreeing with, but accepting someone faults and all.)

No comments: